The mission of the Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre is to provide a safe, non-judgmental environment for women from all walks of life, who live and/or work in the Downtown Eastside. To achieve this goal, the Centre provides supportive surroundings with meals, counseling, advocacy and programs which nurture and empower members.
The constitution of the Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre was written in 1978 upon incorporation and is still relevant today:
- To provide a comfortable, safe Drop-In Centre.
- To provide recreation and self-help programs.
- To act as a source of information by assisting women with referrals concerning their needs.
- To provide a social space and facilitate the opportunity for women of diverse backgrounds to interact and build community.
- To educate the public and all levels of government about issues concerning women in the area.