Relief Peer Support & Self Help Worker
Aboriginal Women and Women of Colour are Strongly Encouraged to Apply
The Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre is a drop-in Centre offering a wide variety of services to a diverse community of women and children living in the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver.
- The Peer Support Worker will promote principles of peer support and self help when supporting women to secure practical needs and manage crisis in the Drop In Centre.
- Support other staff members in providing referrals and crises intervention
- Facilitate women’s access to showers, clothing, toiletries, and other basic need items.
- Responsible for a clean and comfortable environment that operates in compliance with the Centre’ Mission Statement, Statement of Principles, and Policy and Procedures.
- Managing and supporting volunteers enrolled in the DEWC Skills Development Program
- Managing crisis between, within and among various groups and individuals;
- Maintaining a culture of ‘people helping people help themselves’.
- Minimum five years related experience, at least 2yrs in women serving or inner-city drop-in environment with Crisis Intervention training
- Assisted referral experience and familiarity with support services, agencies and community resources in the DTES Community
- Knowledge of Self-help, Peer Support and Feminist principles
- Conflict Resolution skills and knowledge particularly in the area of mental health and/or addictions
- First Aid certificate required
- Ability to work within a chaotic environment and with a diverse community of women.
- Women with addictions issues need to be 2 years clean and sober
Please submit resume and covering letter via email/mal or fax to
Peer Support Worker Hiring Committee
302 Columbia Street,Vancouver,BC V6A 4J1
Fax: 604-681-8470 email@example.com