Every year thousands of women use our services.
- 65% are residents of the Downtown Eastside.
- 22% live outside of the neighborhood but use the Centre because there is no help for them in their area.
- 61% have been using the Centre for over 5 years.
- 28% have been using the Centre for over 10 years.
- 72% use the Centre at least 4 days a week.
- 37% use the Centre every day.
- 43% use the Centre for the drop-in as a meeting and community space.
- 78% identify as Aboriginal or Aboriginal mixed heritage.
- 67% are between the ages of 30 and 59.
- 29% are in their twenties.
- 56% are homeless or at risk of homelessness — the majority live with family or friends
Some of our Women of the Centre
Chili bean has been a part of the DEWC community for the past 20 years. Perhaps you’ve seen her on the news advocating for positive change in the DTES or volunteering at the Drop-in Centre.
Joan has been part of the Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre community since its early days in the 1980s. She now volunteers at the front desk and sits on the Board of Directors.