Thank you for your generosity in bringing your new or gently used donations to the Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre! To best ensure we meet women’s needs, please read the following FAQ before calling or emailing us.
When can I drop off my donation?
Our donation drop off hours are as follows:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 10 am-12 pm, 2-4.30 pm
Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday: 2-4.30 pm
What do you accept?
Our most urgent needs at this time are:
- Incontinence supplies (like Tena, Poise)
- Fabric (all kinds and sizes – please label “Fabric for Ishta”)
- Big bars of soap
- Rain gear (coats, umbrellas)
- Deodorant, razors
- Menstrual pads
- Socks, underwear, bras (new or gently used)
- Toothbrushes and toothpaste
- Perfume, make-up (unopened preferred)
- Q-tips, ear plugs
- Toiletries – shampoo, conditioner, soap, lotion (travel-sized and unopened preferred)
- Band-aids and other First Aid supplies
- Luggage / bags with wheels
- Winter clothing (hats, scarves, coats)
We also accept:
- Hand cream
- Footwear, purses, suitcases
- Women’s clothing (in good condition)
- Reading glasses
- Books, magazines, DVDs
- Art supplies (canvasses, paint, pastels) and craft supplies (beads and beading supplies, knitting needles, crochet hooks, yarn or wool, buttons)
This page will be updated according to our needs. Please click here to find a list of other organizations that may accept items not on our wishlist.
Do you take children’s clothing or children’s toys?
How should I bring my donation?
Please bring your donation in boxes or bags, ready for drop-off. We do not have containers on site to hold donations and cannot return your reusable bins. Thank you!
Where do I park?
We are located at 302 Columbia St, on the corner of Cordova St: the grey unmarked door underneath the Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre sign. There is street parking available on Columbia St. and Cordova St. as well as a parkade on Cordova. If you cannot find parking right next to the Centre, come in and ask staff to assist you in bringing your donation inside. We have a trolley we can use for larger donations.
Can men come inside to drop-off donations?
No, we are a women-only space. If men are dropping off donations, please ring the doorbell and inform staff you have donations to drop off. Thank you for your understanding and for cooperating with this policy.
What days are you closed?
We are closed on the following days and cannot accept donations:
- January 24, 2018
- February 14, 201 8 (Women’s Memorial March)
- February 21, 2018
- March 21, 2018
- April 25, 2018
- May 23, 2018
- June 27, 2018
- July 25, 2018
- August 22, 2018
- September 26, 2018
- October 24, 2018
- November 21, 2018
- December 19, 2018
Do you take furniture and/or housewares?
No, unfortunately we do not have the storage space or capacity to take these donations.
We receive a high volume of emails inquiring about specific items and unfortunately cannot respond to them all. As we have limited space, our urgently-needed items are our top priority. Please consult the FAQ above before contacting us.
Thank you for supporting the Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre! It is due to donors like you that we can provide essential needs to women of the Downtown Eastside.