New Job Openings
POSTING – 1
Peer Support Worker – Shift Lead
(Temporary / Full-Time Position / Internal/External Posting)
The Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre (DEWC) is a drop-in centre and emergency night shelter offering a wide variety of services and programs, to a diverse community of women and children living in the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver.
Reporting directly to the Program Manager, the Peer Support Shift Lead will work in collaboration with other DEWC staff to promote integrated services to women. She is responsible in upholding and understanding principles of peer support to women in securing practical services and needs. Working with DEWC employees, she oversees and ensures policies, procedures, and operational systems are implemented and followed throughout the shift. The successful candidate must work from a feminist analysis and within a strong anti-oppression framework while managing crises in the Drop In with the goal of identifying and addressing barriers ensuring the smooth day to day functional operations of the Centre.
- Supports women to develop peer networks support opportunities including the modeling self help behaviors.
- Monitors women in the Drop In using peer support tools to address conflicts in the Drop In.
- Responds to crisis situations and critical incidents adhering to DEWC policies, procedures, and practices.
- Oversees and maintains responsibility for a clean and comfortable environment operating in compliance with the Centre Mission Statement, Statement of Principles, and health and safety policies and procedures.
- Supports women with practical needs: listening to women; facilitating access to services in the Drop In and for basic needs such as access to meals, showers, hygiene products and computers and communication services.
- Actively participates as a team member to support volunteers from the community.
- Utilizes peer support strategies to support women to receive assistance at the DEWC and/or other agencies.
Conflict Resolution/Crisis Management: Manages crisis and conflict between co-workers, volunteers and members within and among various groups and individuals including by mentoring a variety of self help coping skills and different approaches to personal situations. Maintains a culture of ‘People helping people help themselves’.
Education and Training: Initiates the development & facilitation of workshops & training for employees relating to the Drop-In issues affecting Women & Children on the Downtown East side. Supports group facilitators and assists with special events that promote the principles of self-help and peer support reflecting the mission and mandate of the DEWC.
- Must have a strong working knowledge and analysis of the issues impacting women in the DTES, including violence against women, mental health, homelessness, and addictions.
- Minimum 3 – 5 years related experience working with low-income women, preferably in a woman serving or inner city drop-in environment.
- Supervisory leadership skills and training with proven effective employee support in a high stress environment.
- Familiarity of referral with support services, agencies and community resources in the Downtown East side.
- Excellent communication skills required, including the ability to work in a respectful and cooperative manner with co-workers, and DEWC Centre members; Strong conflict resolution skills and social practice.
- Capability to manage stress within a chaotic work place and with a diverse community of women.
- Has the ability to prioritize situations and communicates accordingly while problem solving rationally.
- First Aid / CPR Training requirement.
- Candidate must undergo a Criminal Records Check for working with Vulnerable Adults & Children.
- Women with addiction issues must be 2 years clean and sober.
- Start Date: ASAP / Temporary – Full – Time, 35hrs-wk / Sun – Thurs / Days – Position Open Until Filled
- Union (BCGEU) – Salary Range – $20.70 – $22.50 per/hr – Location – DEWC Drop In Centre, 302 Columbia St. Vancouver
Aboriginal Women of Colour are Strongly Encouraged to Apply /
Additional languages spoken an asset.
Please submit resume and cover letter to the HR Administrator via e-mail, mail or fax to:
302 Columbia Street, Vancouver, BC, V6A 4J1
Fax: 604-681-8470 Email: email@example.com **NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE**