New Job Openings
POSTING – 1
Housing Intake Worker
(Permanent / Full-Time Position / Internal/External Posting)
The Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre is a drop-in Centre offering a wide variety of services to a diverse community of women and children living in the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver.
Reporting directly to the Specialized Services Program Manager, the Housing Support – Intake Worker will provide vital Housing Intake Services including assessments and referrals to women accessing the Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre. She will work with women who are homeless or at risk of homelessness to assess their eligibility for the DEWC Housing Outreach Program. She will work in collaboration with the DEWC staff to promote integrated services to women by providing service referrals, appointments and housing solutions. The successful candidate must work from a feminist analysis and within a strong anti-oppression framework within supporting these women in establishing and maintaining appropriate safe housing.
Housing Intake and assessment:
- Provide intake service to ensure responsive and timely access to DEWC Housing and/or appropriate services.
- Assess the nature and urgency of a request for service and where appropriate set up appointments with housing or other staff.
- Establish the members’ eligibility according to established criteria, whether a previous record exists and whether member has an open file within DEWC.
- Implement appropriate crisis intervention strategies where it is not possible or timely referral to a crisis service.
Education and Programming:
- Initiates the development & facilitation of workshops & programming related to the housing issues affecting Women & Children on the Downtown Eastside.
- Networks & maintains links with neighboring agencies working in similar service areas of housing / homelessness by attending meetings, training & community events.
- Actively participates in relevant occupational knowledge and both on and off site training initiatives.
- Assists women through the DEWC referral process in order to access internal and external services ensuring a successful transfer of service.
- Provides information and referral to women in such areas as: income assistance; housing; health services; drug & alcohol treatment/recovery; counseling and education.
- Efficient organizational skills including record keeping, scheduling and rational problem-solving abilities.
- Demonstrated computer / IT aptitude abilities with proven MS Office & administrative skills including: research & stats analysis; concise report writing and database management.
- Completion of all Intake and Referral documentation including statistical records.
- Creates and maintains records within the data base system ensuring reports accurately reflect contractual requirement.
- Administers and inputs the Housing Supplement within the parameters established.
- Provides quarterly activity reports to the Management Team as well as statistics and relevant data that will support activities for the housing program.
- Compiles and provides concise and relevant statistics for funders & management reports that are accurately reflecting of contract mandates and previously structured requirements of DEWC.
- Must have a strong working knowledge and analysis of the issues impacting women in the DTES including violence against women, mental health, homelessness and addictions.
- Minimum 3 – 5 years related experience working with low-income women, preferably in a woman serving or inner city drop-in environment.
- Must have a committed working knowledge of housing resource options for women and children in low-income communities inclusive of social/cooperative and affordability housing societies.
- Experience providing assisted referral as well as familiarity with the support services, agencies and community resources available in the Downtown Eastside.
- Understands and practices a trauma informed care response when working with women.
- Experience providing outreach, accompaniment & advocacy with strong conflict resolution skills & social practice.
- Skilled in program facilitation and development as well as working in partnerships with allied service providers.
- Excellent communication skills required including the ability to work in a respectful and cooperative manner with co-workers and Centre members.
- First Aid – CPR – NVCI Training requirement.
- Candidate must undergo a Criminal Records Check for working with Vulnerable Adults & Children.
- Women with addiction issues must be 2 years clean and sober.
- Start Date: July 26, 2017 / Permanent – Full – Time, 35hrs-wk / Mon – Fri / 9 Day – Fortnight Schedule
- Union (BCGEU) – $21.00 per/hr. Location – DEWC Drop In Centre, 302 Columbia St. Vancouver
Additional languages spoken an asset / Aboriginal Women and Women of Colour are Strongly Encouraged to Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter to the HR Administrator via e-mail, mail or fax to:
302 Columbia Street, Vancouver, BC, V6A 4J1
Fax: 604-681-8470 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications accepted until: Internal – Monday, June 26th @ 5pm **NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE**